Latest visit for clinical skills- March 2019


1/ 2 universities this time, so about 80-90 students. So I thought 100 suture pads= problems fitting into a suitcase. Then I realised obvious thing – I can make a kind of sandwich, with chamois skin on each side of the sponge, use each 2 X = usual 50 to carry.

2/ Recruiting teddys etc. from charity shops for more legs to bandage.

3/ Found “big head” for better tubing model, but never seem to have a mouth, so I had to make one

New things this time:

a/ I realised last time that the students struggled to understand the difference between a greenstick fracture (crack) and a complete one- so  model from clay and knitting needles, plus model I bought last year with some donations from Hull 10 K I ran (thanks!) with a saw cut in the radius.

b/ Hand, from glove, for bandaging the foot (looks a bit scary actually!)

c/ Inserting model larynx into head, suspended from head with wires.

d/ Tubing model= difficult to see larynx to tube, as I wanted, as some brachycephalic dogs are difficult to tube.

e/ Lastly, try this- I stopped spending much time on letting each student try fine needle aspirates (FNA’s)on small fruit inserted in the superficial lymph nodes positions in my big toy dogs, as I found about 30% of students could not use a syringe one handed.  This is for a practical around break time. They draw up 1/2 ml hibiscrub from one vial and inject it into the other. Then they draw up 1/2 ml and inject it into a lemon. Finally they try FNA’s of cherries suspended in a block of hard gelatin. If they can do this, then try FNA of dog.